Club History


The Wanneroo Soccer Club was formed in 1975 by parents from the Wanneroo Junior Soccer Club. They competed in the 2nd Division of the Amateur Soccer Association of WA. Their home ground was on Scenic Drive in Wanneroo. In 1978, the club’s final year in the amateur ranks, the Reserve Team won the 2nd Div championship.


The club incorporated under the name Wanneroo City Soccer Club Inc.


The club entered the 4th Division of the Federation (State League) with immediate success. Under the guidance of coach Robert (Bobby) Gordon, Wanneroo won the league and the Top Four Cup. The Reserve Team also contributed to a memorable season as Runners-Up. With the aid of ex-Cracovia players Micky Quayle, Peter Mitchell and Richard Kuzimski, Wanneroo settled into life in the 3rd Division in 1980.


Wanneroo finished 5th in Division 3.


Micky Quayle, as Player/Coach led the club during its best ever run in the Dorsogna Cup, ending in a semi-final loss to top tier side Inglewood Kiev. The Reserve side won the 3rd Division championship.


The Wanneroo Showgrounds became the club’s new home and the highlight of the season was a 2-1 cup win over the Champions Perth Azzuri, a side that included a future Wanneroo player and coach, Willie Kelly.


Former Southampton star John Sydenham joined the club as Player/Coach and his many appearances as substitute were instrumental in Wanneroo gaining promotion to the 2nd Division, as Runners-Up. They also won the Top Four Cup.


The club found it tough competing in the higher division and relegation followed at the end of 1985.


Having moved to the current home at the Kingsway Regional Sporting Complex, and with Micky Quayle returning for his second stint as Coach, the 1st Team finished in 3rd position. The highlight was a seven goal haul by John Tiley in a 9-0 win over Perth City. Playing in the team that year was WA great Ray Illott.


After finishing 3rd again in 1987, the club won the 3rd Division in 1988, earning promotion into the Premier Division (the second tier, below the Super League).


A decision was taken to align the club with a local cultural organisation and as a result the name of the club was changed to Wanneroo British. The idea was to create a major sporting and social club at the Kingsway Regional Sporting Complex. In the process the club’s traditional all-red strip was changed to new colours of white shirts, and red or blue shorts.


Newly appointed coach John Brown brought a lot of new faces to the club and put together a team that were competitive, consolidating their position in the league.


This year saw turmoil in the WA soccer ranks with the Soccer Federation of WA (SFWA) withdrawing its membership from the Soccer Administration of WA (SAWA). SAWA then formed a new Professional Soccer League (PSL) with 11 teams. Wanneroo chose to remain with the SFWA. This was a highly successful season for the club. With a focus on improving the facilities at the club the teams were inspired, as the 1st Team won the Premier Division and the Reserves finished Runners-Up. Wanneroo player Tony Bayliss shared the Federation Gold Medal for the best player.


Still in the SFWA Premier League, Wanneroo finished 3rd, with a draw in the last game of the season thwarting their hopes of winning the title. The club also finished runners-up in the Federation Cup.


The governing bodies came together again in 1993, forming a 3 division PSF. Wanneroo British finished 6th in Division 2.


Women’s football comes to Wanneroo City with two teams formed. The ladies perform fantastically well, ending as runners up in Division 2. In the PSF Wanneroo finished 9th in Division 2. This year also sees the return of Amateur football with Wanneroo entering teams in Division 2 of the West Australian Amateur and Social Soccer Association.


The PSF side finishes well down the ladder again in Division 2, while the Amateur teams also struggle, being relegated from Division 2. The club fields three Women’s teams, in Division 1, 4 and 4.


Wanneroo finishes 4th in a reduced Division 2.


Wanneroo finished 6th in an expanded Division 1.


Wanneroo finishes 3rd in Division 1.


Wanneroo compete in North Division 1, finishing 7th


In a reformed Division 1 (North and South back together), Wanneroo hold up the table, achieving only 6 points for the season.


The club merged with Perth City to form “The City”. They finished well down in Division 1 and they returned to Wanneroo City the next year.


A rejuvenated Wanneroo City team finishes Runners-Up in Division 1.


After a great result in 2004, finishing Runners-Up in Division 1, the team went one better by winning the league by ten points and gaining promotion to the top tier for the first time.


In the Premier League the club found the going tough and ended 10th.


The competition was too tough and the adventure in the Premier League ended, finishing at the base of the league and earning relegation to Division 1.


In 2008 the Wanneroo City Soccer Club (WCSC) and the Wanneroo City Junior Soccer Club (WCJSC) reached agreement to have a transitional arrangement, whereby the junior teams would play under the WCSC name and share facilities at Kingsway. In December 2008 the members of the WCJSC agreed to wind up the club and join with the WCSC.

Back in the Men’s State League Division 1, Wanneroo finished 3rd.


During the 2009 season the former WCJSC teams joined with the existing WCSC junior teams, with all junior teams playing as WCSC and being managed by a Junior Working Committee. This arrangement continued for the 2010 and 2011 seasons, until the existing senior and junior committees agreed to form one committee and manage all teams in the club as one, starting in the 2012 season.

The Men’s State League team goes one better than 2009, finishing 2nd in Division 1.


Another strong result with the Men’s State League Team ending 3rd in Division 1.


Commencing at the end of the 2011 season, the City of Wanneroo commenced works for Stage 5 of the Kingsway Regional Sporting Complex – Infrastructure Redevelopment. This resulted in the construction of new playing fields, installation of upgraded lighting towers and significant upgrade works to the club rooms. The works were completed after the start of the 2012 season, however, the result was facilities to rival any club in the northern suburbs. The Men’s State League Division 1 team finished 4th on goal difference from 2nd.


Under Coach David Tough, the club has one of its best results, winning the Men’s State League Division 1 on the last day of the season. The Reserves finished Runners-Up and the 18s did the double, winning their league and the Cool Ridge Cup.


The joy of the previous year turned to despair, as the Men’s State League team were relegated from Division 1.

Women’s soccer returned to Wanneroo with the club entering a team in the Women’s Metropolitan League Division 2. The ladies endeared themselves by winning the league, securing promotion to the Women’s State League Division 1 for 2015.